I wanted to write a blog post about the Micheal Jackson choreography class I took this weekend at Ballet Austin during their International Day of Dance event.
Like, I even wrote a whole first draft of this paragraph (draft... lol. I just type shit and if it gets erased I'm like "that was my first draft" because it sounds better than "that was fucking lame".) but after watching the "Beat It" video a couple of times. I want to discuss... so many things.
So. Many. Things.
- Snap, snap, snap (One day in the year 5000 they're going to do a study on violence in primitive years and all the felons and gangsters are going to snap. They will site Beat It and West Side Story as research material)
- Does anyone work at the diner or pool hall? or did they all clear out to watch the pending knifey- dance off?
- Why are white gangster's pants SO SO high waisted?
- What is the point of a leather jacket if you're just going to roll the sleeves up? Perhaps a nice cardigan would be more appropriate for your particular needs?
- Why doesn't MJ get jumped when he breaks up their knife fight? He's just like "it doesn't matter who's wrong or right" and they're just like "yeah. he's right. let's snap it out now" (IDK, dude. Maybe gang members do snap)
- who's the guy with the hipster glasses? why does he get a close up? is he seizing? Should... should we call an ambulance?
the same thing.
So, anyway. We learned the steps to Smooth Criminal first. And that shit is hard. And so for the first half of the class I was struggling to really enjoy myself because that's never been my favorite song so I was having a hard time getting into it paired with OMG WHY IS THAT THE HARDEST MOST UNNATURAL CHOREOGRAPHY EVER?
Totally not keeping up with any of the people there, but it's something new.
And then we did "Beat It" and it was the FUNNEST!!!!
(side story. The other day I was at a pool party and I said something was "the funnest" and this guy corrected me because "funnest" isn't a word. I just nodded, but like the whole next day I was replaying the scene in my head where I was like "yeah, dude. I fucking know funnest isn't a word. Thank you for your wisdom and condensation. dick"... okay, side story over)
It's just a better song, in my opinion. It's easier to move to. The moves are more fun to do and come more naturally- less choppy. Oh, and there's a video. Ballet Austin sent us all a video of the class doing the "Beat It" dance.
In the spirit of fairness I will point myself out, but there are a lot of people in this video who are fucking. good.
- Youtube won't let me use the music from the video they sent me. But you know the words. So just sing it
- I am on the last person stage right in the green top and shorts
- Yes, I am about 1 count behind everyone else. I will never dance on Broadway. I've come to terms with it. You should too.
That's going to be amazing.
I'm just glad Partition doesn't really have much choreography to it. (Is rolling around, posing on chairs & seducing Jay Z choreography?)
Because... like, I can't even listen to that song with other peopel in the room. It's too much. Too sexy. Too much sexy.
Also, what is this? Are we supposed to believe this is what Beyonce works out wearing?
I Tried a New Recipe!
I have been meaning to make a chocolate avocado pudding for the longest time. I've experimented with putting avocado in with my shakeology and it made it super thick and creamy, so when I saw my friend, (and PiYo challenge group participant) Amanda post a recipe I decided I was going to try it that day.
Okay, I am all for making this again. I'm just going to make a few changes. Y'all it was so delicious and I ate my whole serving, but I was so freaking full I thought I was going to be sick.
I did add half a banana and a spoon of almond butter (also, used half honey half agave). But I think it was the 40z of dark chocolate pieces that did it.
Just.. ya know. Don't add so much dense chocolate unless you want a stomach ache for days.
MY PIYO GROUP STARTED
- Amanda-- she and I are friends from college. We used to party together, and now we both fairly domestic grown ups obsessed with our dogs. She is rocking it pretty hard with PiYo and the Vegan Chocolate Shakeology (just like me!) She called PiYo Sweat her "soul mate" workout. That makes me so excited when someone really just clicks with a workout (like the oppoiste of me and step class. I am glad Amanda is having the opposite experience I have every step class I attend)
- Che- So, funny story. Che and I have never met in real life, but I feel like I know her. Like, if I wanted to bitch about my day I feel like I could call her up. We actually met on a MyFitnessPal vegan message board and we both live in Austin and through obsessively telling her about PiYo I wore her down. Thanks for joining!!
- Katey- Katey was in my last group. She's actually doing her second month of Insanity and seeing great results. Katey just ordered chocolate Shakeology and is discovering the nomness of chocolate shakeo & peanut butter smoothies. Yummm... hey- ya wanna see Katey's results from month one of Insanity??
Or this. This is perfect advice to live by:
OKAY LOVE YOU BYYYEEEEEE